Last year I went insane with monthly checklists (you can easily find them in the archives) and all kinds of related self-flagellation. This resulted in a hardcore burnout period, especially after I got my second part time job and said goodbye to a good amount of my free time.
I've transitioned into a kinder "do what you can" philosophy since then. I try not to stress about the things I'm not getting done because that list is infinitely long and contemplating it too deeply will make me go insane. Instead I might as well try to enjoy life and feel good about myself from time to time.
Still, there are some things I'd like to get done in 2012. Here are some of them.
- I would like to finish the first draft of my second novel. Right now it's about half done, and I think if I make it a priority for a few months it will materialize.
- I would like to produce another Doomsday Cabaret show.
- I would like to get in better shape. If possible I would like to be able to run a ten minute mile. (That may not sound too fast, but, let me tell you, it would be an improvement over the current situation.)
- I'd like to write a few more short stories and it would be great if I could get a short story published.
- I want to spend less time on Facebook and more time reading.
- I'd like to make at least one more bellydance costume.
- I want to feel good about what I perform at TribalCon, which will mean preparing well.
- I'd like to teach some workshops out of town (although I don't have much control over whether or not that comes to pass).
- I'd like to write an article about bellydance and publish it somewhere.
- I want to save more money and eat more fruits and vegetables. (Exciting!!)
And of course, I wish and hope that I will find a good agent for my book, and I'm going to try my best, but in the end it's not up to me. If I haven't found an agent by the end of 2012 I will probably go ahead and self-publish on Amazon, and I'm excited that possibility for its own reasons.
What are your resolutions?